Sunset Park SchoolIssue 5June 1, 2016
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
It has already been two years since I first became principal of the Sunset Park School. In a short amount of time we made great strides together. Here’s looking back to some of our accomplishments over the past two years:
- Rigor in 3-5! Students in grades 3-5 experience Expeditionary Learning and are asked to be critical thinkers and problem solvers. They learned to build skills to tackle complex ideas, problems, and texts. We also emphasized the development of habits that are needed for success in college, careers and life. Most importantly, teachers provided time for students to investigate, inquire, and apply the knowledge they’ve gained.
- Technology! Students in integrated co-teaching classes learned through two SMART boards, English Language Learners used iPads to access applications that support language learning, students accessed the newly built media center in the library.
- ARTS! Students experienced Visual Arts, Drama, and Music through highly qualified, specially licensed teachers.
- After-school & Saturday! More than 500 students participated in after school and Saturday for extra curricular and academic activities through highly skilled teachers—including academic intervention, chess, cooking, and drama.
- K-2 curriculum! Student in K-2 learned through Core Knowledge. Children learned sounds and letters for fluent decoding and encoding during one part of the day and then had additional time to build the knowledge, language, and vocabulary that are essential for strong comprehension.
- Choice! Students k-5 engaged in Choice Time to build, create, share, and explore. Student voices filled with joy and excitement over learning.
- Reading! Students prioritized reading through Drop Everything and Read and Independent Reading. According to the National Education Association, having kids read a lot is one of the crucial components of becoming a good reader. The only way to get good at it is to practice.
- Play! Construction started on the 3rd floor roof! Soon students will be able to get more outdoor play time.
- Field trips! Because experiential learning is essential, especially those learning another language, field trips were sponsored through the school and out of pocket costs for parents were significantly reduced.
- Good Standing! Sunset Park School made annual yearly progress, enough to make it off the list of schools in need of improvement. We are now in good standing!
- Time for teachers to learn! All classroom teachers received extra time to collaborate, visit other classrooms, and research student learning.
- After-school, Saturday, and Sunrise expansion! More than 800 students participate in after school, Saturday, and Sunrise extra curricular and academic activities through highly skilled teachers—including academic intervention, chess, cooking, drama, chorus, and violin.
- Interpretation! Interpretation devices for Spanish and Chinese were purchased and are now available for all parent meetings going forward!
- New Website! www.sunsetparkschool.org Chinese and Spanish pages coming soon!
I look forward to the many years to come to celebrate more and more success with you all. Have a wonderful summer.
All the best,
Principal Sunset Park School
Kindergarten Field Day
Professor Bread 8:30 AM
Last Day of Nutrition Class
for Parents 8:30 AM
PTA Meeting 8:30 AM
NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
PTA Immigration Forum
Fire Safety 8:30 AM
NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Fifth Grade Award Ceremony
Parent SLT Election
Fifth Grade Graduation Party
Kindergarten Stepping Up Ceremony K-1, K-13, K-62, K-63, K-89 at 9:15 AM
Kindergarten Stepping Up Ceremony K-12, K-65, K-88, K-64, K-95 at 9:15AM
Fifth Grade Graduation
HALF DAY -
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
There are more and more committees for parents to be a part of. Come share your skills, knowledge, and insights—join a committee. Reach out to a parent coordinator if you’re interested, in room 227 or email email@example.com.
- Gardening: Explore the available areas around the school to build a garden for our students and community. We are currently looking for experienced carpenters to build us a garden bed.
- Over-crowding: SPS is over capacity and we need your help to advocate for another school in our zone. Join this committee to voice our need.
- Lunch/Recess: Lunch and recess are very important times of the day for our students. We need to hear your ideas and solutions to our very crowded lunch rooms and play areas.
- Hiring: We hire staff members every year, all year round. If you’re interested in meeting candidates and providing input on if they should be hired, join the hiring committee.
- Resource: This committee organizes all resources for the school including ordering, distributing, and organizing. If you are good at merchandizing, ordering, and delivering, please reach out to be a part of the resource committee.